Cleveland Browns (7-5) vs Jacksonville Jaguars (8-3)
2023-12-10 13:00:00 EDT
The Line: Betting Odds: Cleveland Browns +2.5 -- Over/Under: 40.5
(Get latest betting odds)
The Jacksonville Jaguars and the Cleveland Browns meet Sunday in NFL action from FirstEnergy Stadium. Jacksonville is coming off a Monday night matchup versus the Bengals. In that one the Jaguars fell to 8-4 overall with an overtime loss. As for Cleveland, they’re 7-5 on the year after a loss to the Rams on Sunday. Let’s get into our Jaguars vs. Browns prediction. Check back all season long for free NFL picks at Sports Chat Place.
The Jaguars lost two of their first three games this year to the Chiefs and Texans, then regrouped for wins in seven of their next eight outings. Jacksonville scored 23.1 points per game in those 11 outings, giving up 20.5 points per game on defense. The rush generated 106.2 yards per game and 12 touchdowns in that time.
In their Monday matchup versus the Bengals, Jacksonville had a 28-21 edge going into the final quarter but eventually fell 34-31 in overtime. QB Trevor Lawrence posted 259 yards with a pair of scores, while Travis Etienne put up 32 yards and a TD to lead the run. Evan Ingram caught eight balls for 80 yards and a TD as well.
Jacksonville Jaguars Team Facts
- The Jaguars have lost each of their last 10 road games following a home loss.
- The Jaguars have covered the spread in 10 of their last 11 games against teams that held a winning record.
- The Jaguars have lost the first quarter in each of their last five Week 14 games.
- The Jaguars have scored the first touchdown in each of their last six games against AFC opponents.
- The Jaguars have won the first half in six of their last seven Sunday games.
Over on the Cleveland side, they started off the year on a 7-3 clip but since have lost consecutive games to the Broncos and Rams. The Browns are averaging 21.5 points per game, with 186.1 yards per game, 11 TDs and 14 interceptions coming via the pass. The rush is averaging 135.1 yards per game with 11 scores as well.
The Browns took on the Rams in their last matchup, and things didn’t go so well. Cleveland was down 20-13 heading into the final quarter, then gave up 16 more points in a 36-19 loss. QB Joe Flacco posted 254 yards with two scores and a pick. Kareem Hunt led the rush on 48 yards, and Elijah Moore added four catches for 83 yards.
Cleveland Browns Team Facts
- The Browns have won each of their last eight games against AFC South opponents.
- The Browns have covered the spread in each of their last seven games at Cleveland Browns Stadium following a loss.
- The favorites have won the first half in each of the Browns’ last 10 games.
- The Browns have scored the first touchdown in each of their last seven games against AFC South opponents.
- The home team has won the first quarter in each of the Browns’ last four games.
- The Browns rank 1st in the NFL in yards allowed per game this season (260.5).
- The Browns rank 1st in the NFL in passing yards allowed per game this season (153.4).
- The Jaguars rank 32nd in the NFL in H2 opponent points per game this season (14.1).
- The Jaguars rank 2nd in the NFL in Q1 opponent points per game this season (1.9).
ANDREW’S FREE JAGUARS VS BROWNS PREDICTION
I’m going to stick with the Jaguars. Jacksonville didn’t play their best ball on Monday though, so they’ll need a bounce-back effort. The Jaguars ended up surrendering 491 yards to the Bengals (335 passing) with 27 first downs and an 8-of-14 rate on third-down tries. Jacksonville’s rush wasn’t great either (75 yards) which hurt the team in the later stages of the game. Still, with 24 or more points in three straight games the Jaguars should be in a decent position down the stretch in this one. The Trevor Lawrence injury is certainly a significant factor here, but if the Jags D has a good game they’ll keep the Browns in check.
Speaking of Cleveland, they didn’t play great versus the Rams in their last outing. The Browns ended up with 327 total yards (240 passing) and 20 first downs while giving up 399 yards (279 passing) on the other side. Cleveland has scored 19 or fewer points in each of the last three games and I don’t see them posting a big total here either.