New England Patriots (2-9) vs Los Angeles Chargers (4-7)
2023-12-03 13:00:00 EDT
The Line: Betting Odds: New England Patriots +6 -- Over/Under: 39
(Get latest betting odds)
The Los Angeles Chargers and the New England Patriots meet in week 13 NFL action from Gillette Stadium on Sunday afternoon. Check out our Chargers vs Patriots Prediction.
Chargers Drop 3rd Straight
The Los Angeles Chargers come into this game on the heels of their third straight after a loss following their 20-10 loss at the hands of the Baltimore Ravens last time out. Justin Herbert has thrown for 2,826 yards, 20 touchdowns and 6 interceptions on 66.2% passing while Austin Ekeler has a team-high 428 rushing yards with 4 touchdowns and Joshua Kelley has 360 rushing yards as well on the year. Keenan Allen leads the Chargers’ receiving group with 97 grabs for 1,117 yards and 7 touchdowns this season. On defense, Kenneth Murray Jr. has a team-high 81 total tackles while Khalil Mack has a team-high 13 sacks and Joey Bosa has 6.5 sacks.
Los Angeles Chargers Team Facts
- The underdogs have won four of the Chargers’ last five Week 13 games.
- The favorites have covered the spread in seven of the Chargers’ last eight games.
- The underdogs have won the first quarter in each of the Chargers’ last four Week 13 games.
- The favorites have won the first half in seven of the Chargers’ last eight games.
- The Chargers have scored the first touchdown in each of their last seven games as favorites against AFC opponents.
Patriots Continue To Slide
The New England Patriots come into this one looking to snap a four-game losing skid after their 10-7 loss at the hands of the New York Giants in their last game. Mac Jones has thrown for 2,120 yards, 10 touchdowns and 12 interceptions on 64.9% passing while Rhamondre Stevenson has 580 rushing yards with 4 TDs and Ezekiel Elliott has 377 rushing yards and a pair of scores. Demario Douglas leads the Patriots with 410 receiving yards while Kendrick Bourne has 406 receiving yards with 4 touchdowns. Hunter Henry has 298 receiving yards with 3 TDs and another two Patriots have 200+ receiving yards and another four have 100+ receiving yards. On defense, Ja’Whaun Bentley has a team-high 70 total tackles with 4 sacks while Christian Barmore has 3 sacks and Kyle Dugger has a pair of interceptions.
New England Patriots Team Facts
- The Patriots have lost each of their last five games against teams that held a losing record.
- The Patriots have failed to cover the spread in each of their last seven home games in December.
- The Patriots have lost the first half in each of their last six games in December.
- The Patriots have scored the first touchdown in seven of their last eight home games against AFC West opponents.
- The underdogs have won the first quarter in each of the Patriots’ last four Week 13 games.
- The Patriots rank 31st in the NFL in points per game this season (13.5).
- The Patriots rank 31st in the NFL in H1 points per game this season (6.4).
- The Chargers rank 32nd in the NFL in yards allowed per game this season (390.6).
- The Chargers rank 32nd in the NFL in passing yards allowed per game this season (280.0).
I’m sticking with the Chargers here. It’s not easy or favorable to lay these kinds of numbers on the road, but it certainly beats the alternative with the way the Patriots are playing right now. There’s no offense and even when the defense holds it’s still not enough. I mean 7 points against the Giants? As bad as the Chargers’ defense has been in spots, I have to think it can hold down New England and Justin Herbert and the Chargers’ offense can do enough to bag the win and cover here.