New York Jets (4-8) vs Houston Texans (7-5)
2023-12-10 13:00:00 EDT
The Line: Betting Odds: New York Jets +6.5 -- Over/Under: 34.5
(Get latest betting odds)
The Houston Texans look to stay hot after winning 4 of their last 5 games. The New York Jets are riding a disappointing 5-game losing streak. Let’s preview this game and give out a Houston Texans vs New York Jets prediction.
Houston Texans Betting Preview
The Houston Texans beat the Broncos last week, and they’re one game behind the Jaguars for first place in the AFC South. C.J. Stroud is completing 63.4 percent of his passes for 3,540 yards, 20 touchdowns and 5 interceptions. Nico Collins and Tank Dell have combined for 1,700 receiving yards and 13 touchdowns, while Dalton Schultz has 40 receptions. The Houston Texans ground game is averaging 97.9 yards per contest, and Devin Singletary leads the way with 525 yards and 2 touchdowns. Defensively, Houston is allowing 20.8 points and 342.2 yards per game. Blake Cashman leads the Houston Texans with 84 tackles, Jonathan Greenard has 8 sacks and Derek Stingley Jr. has 4 interceptions.
Houston Texans Team Facts
- The Texans have lost each of their last four Week 14 games as favorites.
- The Texans have failed to cover the spread in eight of their last nine Sunday games against teams that held a losing record.
- The Texans have lost the first quarter in six of their last eight games as favorites.
- The Texans have scored the first touchdown in four of their last five games played as favorites on the East Coast.
- The Texans have lost the first half in 11 of their last 12 road games against AFC East opponents.
New York Jets Betting Preview
The New York Jets have lost to the Chargers, Raiders, Bills, Dolphins and Falcons during this losing skid. Trevor Siemian or Zach Wilson should get the start at quarterback, but it remains a mystery who gets the nod. Garrett Wilson and Tyler Conklin have combined for 1,194 receiving yards and 3 touchdowns, while Breece Hall has 44 receptions. The New York Jets ground game is averaging 90.8 yards per contest, and Hall leads the way with 585 yards and 2 touchdowns. Defensively, New York is allowing 20.9 points and 312.7 yards per game. C.J. Mosley leads the New York Jets with 119 tackles, Jermaine Johnson has 6.5 sacks and Jordan Whitehead has 4 interceptions.
New York Jets Team Facts
- The Jets have lost eight of their last nine games in December.
- The Jets have failed to cover the spread in each of their last six games.
- The Jets have scored the first touchdown in four of their last five Week 14 games at MetLife Stadium.
- The favorites have won the first half in each of the Jets’ last 12 games.
- The Jets have lost the first quarter in seven of their last eight games against AFC opponents.
Houston Texans vs New York Jets prediction
The New York Jets will remain competitive because of their defense, but the offense remains a joke, scoring no more than 13 points in each of their last 6 games. Trevor Siemian or Zach Wilson, it doesn’t matter, the Jets season is over and at this point winning shouldn’t even be the goal. Go into tank mode and get the best possible pick. The Houston Texans are on the rise and have to view this as a winnable game to remain in the playoff hunt. The Jets have not only lost 5 straight games, but they’ve failed to cover all of those losses as well. Give me the Texans and the chalk.