Legal California Online Gambling, Poker & Casinos
Beyond Nevada and New Jersey, California is regarded as having one of the most relaxed penal codes regarding gambling. Since the state's expansion in the 20th century, California has a long and proud history of regulated gambling.
Today, Californians are permitted to place legal bets across a plethora of gambling markets, from casino table games and horse racing bets to lottery and daily fantasy sports bets.
Some 58 tribal casinos now exist in California, along with 90 specialist poker rooms, generating annual revenues of $7 billion.
California Gambling Laws - Summary and Look to the Future
Presently, Californians can place any kind of online bets they desire, so long as it is done so with an operator based offshore. Even those who place online bets with a US-based online operator will not be breaking any laws. However, the operator would be considered to have broken the law by accepting a bet, which could result in your accounts being seized and betting funds lost.
At the time of writing, no legislation exists addressing the legality of online gambling in California. It's hoped that, given California's relatively contemporary and liberal appearance, it will soon look to take a stance in favor of the online gambling industry.
California Gambling Laws - A Brief History
- 1933 - The Californian state opts to legalize betting on all forms of horse racing.
- 1984 - The new California Lottery is established.
- 1998 - The Californian state passes a new Gambling Control Act, regulating the operation of card rooms along the west coast.
- 2000 - The Californian state opts to legalize tribal casinos.
- 2007 - A new Bureau of Gambling Control is established.
What Types of Gambling are Legal in California?
- Casino Gambling – Casino Gambling is legal in California and it has a number of Indian operated casinos. California also has card clubs that can also play some casino style games but the difference being is that a player takes on the house position as the house cannot spread the games.
- Sports Betting – California has live horse betting as well as simulcast racing. California does have recent sports betting bills being introduced and you can follow the progress of sports betting in California here.
- Online Betting – Online betting in California currently is just horse racing and most of the major online players like TVG, Twin Spires, and BetAmerica all accept California players.
- Daily Fantasy – the large DFS operators like Fanduel and Draft Kings claim an exemption as a game of skill and they accept California players.
- Poker – Poker is legal in California both at Casinos and Card rooms. Online poker bills have been attempted nearly every year and none have passed.
- Bingo – Bingo is legal in California on a charity basis.
- Lottery – California has a full lottery including number draws, scratch off tickets, as well as interstate lotto drawings like Mega Millions and Powerball.