Legal Virginia Online Gambling, Poker & Casinos
Virginia's gambling industry is certainly not on the scale of Nevada's but it's by no means non-existent like in Utah. Traditional casino gambling and poker are explicitly prohibited but the Virginia Lottery has proved to be a huge success for the state's economy, with multi-state games such as Powerball and Mega Millions also available today.
Pari-mutuel horse and dog racing betting is legal in Virginia, along with off-track betting, but its thoroughbred racing industry is in disarray since its Colonial Downs track was forced to close its doors.
Social gambling is permitted throughout Virginia, allowing individuals to play gambling games such as poker among family and friends within the privacy of their own home.
Virginia Gambling Laws - Summary and Look to the Future
Three bills were passed by the Virginia legislature in 2011 which prohibited the use of online betting sites located within the state.
However, none of these bills addressed the aspect of offshore iGaming, with Virginia's residents still free to sign up and play with operators based overseas.
Some offshore iGaming brands have opted to withdraw from the US market altogether due to the nation's Unlawful Internet Gambling Enforcement Act (UIGEA) but there are still plenty of options for Virginians.
Virginia Gambling Laws - A Brief History
- 1973 - State agrees to legalize specific forms of charitable gambling.
- 1987 - State-operated Virginia Lottery legalized, with tickets sold from 1988.
- 1989 - State votes to re-legalize pari-mutuel betting on horse racing.
- 2016 - Virginia's longest-serving thoroughbred race track, Colonial Downs, shuts down.
What Types of Gambling are Legal in Virginia?
- Casino Gambling – There is no casino gambling in Virginia and the only real option in this regard is to visit neighboring states.
- Sports Betting – Horse racing is legal in Virginia but there aren’t any tracks. And that makes off track betting non-existent as well. There are no bills on the books regarding expanding sports betting in Virginia but you can follow any developments here.
- Online Betting – There is no online betting in Virginia, at least not currently. You can follow any updates regarding online gambling in Virginia here.
- Daily Fantasy – Daily Fantasy sites including Draft Kings and Fanduel operate in Virginia and are licensed to do so and are 100 percent legal
- Poker – There currently is no legal poker in Virginia.
- Bingo – Bingo is legal in Virginia and with over 600 Bingo Halls there is plenty of action.
- Lottery – The lottery in Virginia has local drawings as well as interstate draws. The Virginia lottery also sells scratch tickets.